A Little Tree Trimming, Hall Decking and Gift Wrapping from My House to Yours….

“Haul out the holly; Put up the tree before my spirit falls again, Fill up the stocking….”
We Need A Little Christmas

Hanging the lights

Trimming the Tree

Christmas Sparkle

Santa Mugs

Christmas Angel

Holiday Bulbs

Three Buddies

Silver Bells

A Note to the Christmas Elf

Holiday Scene

Christmas Gifts

Christmas Wreath

Christmas Lights

Hope the midst of the Holiday Season finds you well. I managed to deck the halls before we hit mid-month with all of my sparkly, silvery baubles. And, I actually mailed packages to the East Coast without having to pay expedited shipping. Unheard of for me. Surviving on caffeine and the sparkle in the eyes of the 6-year-old.

Would love to know your favorite holiday decor?  What do you get most excited to haul out each year?

Provided no one else gets sick this week, I’ll have some appetizer ideas coming to you in a few days.

Cheers my friends!! xo

Comments

1. Beautiful pictures! Some of my favorite of yours. My favorite Christmas items to pull out are the silver ornaments that my grandmother gave me every year. So very special.

2. Laurie Walker says:

I’d have to say the outside Christmas lights. My husband gave up “installing” them years ago, so the task falls to me. And I have to say, I love it. For some reason, I find it very relaxing – just me and a few thousand twinkle lights for a couple of hours.

Beautiful pictures, Carrie! So glad to hear you made it to the post office in time. Nice to check those “to dos” of your list!

• I am the outside light putter-upper as well!! Although, my lights number in the hundreds, not the thousands but I still love them.

3. BARBARA TOSO says:

MY FAVORITE ITEM TO BRING IS MY SMALL KITCHEN TREE DECORATED WITH MARY ENGELBRITE ORNAMENTS AND KITCHEN CHEFS IN THEIR HATS, CHRISTMAS APRONS AND BAKED GOODIES.

• Barbara, I can just picture your tree. Perfect for you. Maybe I’ll get to have a peek at it when I’m in your neck of the woods next weekend…weather willing. :)

4. Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing the gift of your photography with us. You made me smile and then I ran around the house with my iPad showing anyone who would pause to look at your photos.

5. The simplest of things — hanging the stocking. That is always first on our decorating to-do list.

• I wish the stockings were my favorite but being the eldest and all with my eldest child issues, the stockings in our house just aren’t all that aesthetically pleasing. I can’t get past them. I want new ones but can’t justify it. Can’t wait to admire yours in a few weeks….

6. I love bringing out my Nativity that Karen Van Horn made out of clay when the now 15 year old was in preschool! It is my very favorite Christmas decoration. Every year my now 12 year old likes to decide where every piece should be placed….It is different every year, yet he nails it every time! Thanks for the beautiful pictures Car!

• I have two of Karen’s snowmen that I absolutely treasure. I can only imagine how beautiful a nativity set is by her. Loving that your “littlest one” still arranges the pieces each year. He’s a keeper… your eldest is too. :)

7. Beautiful photos! I love hanging our stockings. I also put our Christmas cards we get in the tree!

• Oh, I love the idea of the Christmas cards on the tree. Just think of all the new and wonderful traditions you’ll begin now that you have a little one in the house.

8. i just love this Carrie . . . beautiful, peaceful, energizing, lovely . . .

9. Love the photos Carrie – In our family we have a tradition that each married couple recieves a silver bell for Christmas beginning with their first Christmas together. My grandparents bought bells for my parents and my parents now buy them for us.

At first the bells went on an evergreen swag, then a wreath now I have a whole tree dedicated to them – this year we will add our 21st bell to our tree – but my parents can fill a full size tree with their 46 bells!

• I have goosebumps just reading about your tradition, Jill. I love bells and have collected quite a few over the years but not with the same meaning behind them as you. I can only imagine how beautiful 46 bells on a Christmas tree must look. {sigh….}

10. Amity Swank says:

Love these photos, have to ask what camera/photo app you use because the lighting/colors are beautiful (in addition to the subjects)…my favorite part of Christmas is unpacking the Christmas ornaments and listening to the kids’ comments as each one is unwrapped as they “relive” and make their own Christmas memories

• I do almost all of my photo processing in Adobe Lightroom. I love their settings for manipulating light and color. I used to use Photoshop which is great for photo touch-up (erasing wrinkles, whitening teeth, that sort of thing… :) ) but for pure photo enhancement I recommend Lightroom.

I have to agree with you on the unwrapping ornaments. I have ornaments on there that I made as a kiddo as well as ones childhood friends made. My kids all have their handiwork on the tree and it always makes me smile when I see them every year….some a little worse for wear than others but I just instruct the kids “Small ones one top, medium-sized ones in the middle, big ones on the bottom, ugly ones in the back. ” :)

• Amity Swank says:

I love your edict and have to start using those instructions for decorating our tree…already the big ones get hung on the bottom although with Sam the 16 month old destroyer most end up being removed and redistributed in other parts of the house…

11. Love this Carrie – especially the dear elf note for sum smencils !! :) So great to hear everyone’s Christmas traditions too. We have an angel themed tree every year – framed pictures of family and friends who are angels in heaven and on earth, surrounded by angel ornaments and homemade ornaments by the kids. Lots of smiling faces on that tree :)

*Hugs and blessings to you and the family!

• I love the idea of framed pictures of everyone both here and above. I’m always missing my grandparents but especially this time of year. You’ve just given me the idea to hang some framed pictures of them on the tree…. xo

12. Lady Bacchus says:

Great pics lady…thanks for sharing!!

13. My favorite ornament is a flying Miss Piggy head. I’ve had it since I was a little kid. My mom would always have me hang it low on the tree “because it is so heavy.” She’s since admitted that she hoped one of our curious pets would play with the low-hanging ornament and break it. The ornament now resides on low-hanging branches on my own tree, not because I want it to break (though my husband probably does), but out of tradition.

Here she is in all her glory: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerkstorewilly/4212981437/

14. Connie Sloan says:

Oh Carrie, I just LOVE your photographs. The Santa cups photo is one of my favorites…
    besides the little guy decorating the tree. If the ELF needs some smencils,
    I have a few extra. I had a great hiding spot a few years back… the
    hiding spot was so good, I just found the smencils a few weeks ago.

• Thank you, sweet friend. The Santa Mugs are one of my favorite too. Passed down to me from my Granny. Always on the counter ready to hold eggnog sprinkled with nutmeg. And, anytime you want to unload the smencils, we’d be happy to take them off your hands. :)

15. LOVE your gift wrapping! So simple and festive! Can you pass along where you got the tags and the cute red felt balls? Looking forward to seeing you next week on AMNW…….

• I would be happy to share my sources. The little balls I found in a 50% off bin at West Elm. I have a mailing tag addiction and get all sorts of sizes and shapes at Office Depot. I’m sure any office supply store would have them. Then I tied it all up with your standard ole twine put a bit of rosemary from my yard in there too and voila…. Looking forward to AMNW next week as well. What to make? What to make?

16. So many things I hold dear and look forward to hauling out. One is a little Santa Man from Germany, you stick incense in his hiney and he smokes ;) it’s so cute.
    Your photos are breathtaking! Seriously amazing.

17. Beauty! Happy holidays to you, my friend!

18. What a classy blog! My blog wants to be your blog when it grows up! Nice to meet you … I’m opposite you in this month’s Calgary’s Child!