A Peek Back Twenty Years Ago

Last week, February 15th to be exact, Dave and I celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary. I spent the afternoon watching our wedding video. I wanted to watch it before everyone got home so I would be able to better anticipate the parts I could fast forward through…the parts I thought the kids would lose interest in when I showed it to them in the evening. I was not prepared for how emotional it would be to watch this video I hadn’t seen in 20 years even considering it was filmed with old grainy VHS tape technology. To see my grandmothers still alive as well as other dear family friends who are no longer with us. To have all of my friends and family gathered in one place, all of whom I cherish, and many of whom are still involved in my life on a daily basis. To listen to my amazingly talented friends sing…my sister, the soloist. To watch my beautiful parents watch me. To see my brother so handsome in all his 16 years, escort my grandmothers out of the church. To watch my brother-in-law and sister-in-law cracking up at the kids getting married – a preview to the kids having kids. I couldn’t help but get teary over all of it.

And to simply stare at my husband…in absolute awe…that he is still standing right next to me. My handsome guy with the beautiful, genuine smile. The big hazel-green eyes that turn down at the edges in a self-deprecating, Hugh Grant, kind of way. My solid, driven, intelligent, committed, kind, thoughtful, and funny guy. My guy who everyday I appreciate and love even more. My guy who puts up with my energetic and bossy ways.

When you get married, especially, I believe, at the very young age of 24, you say those words “forever” and “for life” and “til death do us part” but I don’t think there’s any real context to them. You say them because that’s what you say at weddings. But when you find yourself, 20 years later, looking back you realize that what you have with your husband is something amazing. Something incredible. Something unique to just the two of you. You’ve built a life together. You’ve shared many firsts together – first car, first “real” job, first house, first pregnancy, first birth, first illness, first death. You now have three wonderful children together. Your favorite time of day is after the kitchen has been cleaned up, and the kids are in bed, when it’s just the two of you and you simply talk to each other, listen to each other, or just sit there in silence next to each other. And you know how amazing it will still be after the kids have grown and it’s just the two of you again…another part of your life to build.

My two eldest got a kick out of watching the video. “Mom, you’re so cute. You look so young!!” To which I thought, “And what do I look like now? Old?” I have no context. I look at that girl in the video and think I still look like her and yet I’m no longer her. They loved watching their grandparents on the video. My Mom so beautiful in her turquoise dress, my father cutting it up on the dance floor, my mother-in-law dancing with her son, and my father-in-law’s voice cracking as he gave the first toast. They loved watching my friends, dancing and singing, many of whom are now parents to their friends.

Thank you to all of you who were there on that beautiful day – especially to my parents who made the day possible – and thank you to those of you who’ve joined us along the way and helped make our life and our relationship what it is today. xoxo Carrie

Here’s a quick little trip down memory lane I put together with some highlights.

Thank you to Libby and her sweet Mom and my friend, Myreen – whom we miss so much – for capturing our day on video.

Comments

1. Wow, wow, wow. Congratulations on 20 years, and here’s to many more!

2. Cuddly, chunky and happy :)

3. Gorgeous, doll face! I got married at 24, too. Two peas, same pod.

4. kendall bergstrom-delancellotti says:

Carrie;
    This is so beautiful! What a neat idea of sharing this with your kids on your anniversary. Please send our love to Dave! Cheers to 20 more,
    Kendall

5. Debbie Battey says:

Love it – classic and great. Quite nice video for that day! Thanks for sharing. : )

6. Brant Blodgett says:

Congratulations Carrie. You were/are a beautiful bride!! Loved your comment about how you don’t feel any different than the young woman you see in the video/pictures. Interesting to live it, no? And then our kids mark our lives!
    Best to you and Dave.

7. Congratulations on 20 years, Carrie! What a lovely bride you were. But you are even more beautiful today than 20 years ago. Wishing you two many more happy years together.

8. Oh Carrie – so sweet! Congrats on the 20 year milestone and for sharing a piece of your wedding day with your Internet pals :)

9. Meg DesCamp says:

Carrie, what a blast to watch this! I have to say, however, that although you were a truly beautiful bride, you are more beautiful now. And dang, girl, you were YOUNG! You looked about 14! which might be why you only look around 34 now…

10. OMG, that is so sweet. We’ve been married 10 years and not once yet watched our video, which is also on VHS. I’m actually not sure how we would watch it at this point, not owning a VHS player anymore, but watching your highlights and reading your post makes me think of all the people I might see that are no longer with us, and just how sweet it might be to watch and remember. I remember the best part, when my brother-in-law dropped my ring (or rather sort of threw by accident) when he was supposed to give it to the pastor. We had a good round of tension reducing laughter from that little slip.

Happy Anniversary and warm wishes for another 20+ happy years together. :-)

• Hi Jessica, Oh, I love those little “tense” moments. They add something unique to your special day. Our pastor introduced us as Dave and Carrie “Mines” instead of “Minns.” We laugh about it to this day. Thank you for the warm wishes!

11. Awwww. It’s grown-up Will (with two Ls). Congrats. You’ve got seven years on us. I’ll look to you in inspiration regularly! (ha! as if I didn’t already!)

12. Tanya Koetje Bunker says:

Hey Carrie,
    Thanks so much for the video ,it lets all of us “old married folk” rejoice in loving those we married some 20+ year ago (mine will be 23 in Auguast, whew). So happy for you both, marriage is truely fabulous and worth every up and down. Hats off to you both!!
    Old Whidbey Island friends,
    Tanya

13. Sweet daughter and wonderful Dave, you two did me so proud that special day, and now 20 years later, I read your story with tears flowing; for I truly love you both. As you have heard many times, “As your father, you will always be my little girl.” This is the way with fathers and why the are so protective of their little girls. God has truly blessed you and us. We thank Him every day.

14. By-the-way; Aloha ;-D

15. Ah so so fun to watch. You got me all teary eyed too! I have not watched our wedding video since our 1 year anniversary. Now I’m worried about where it even is. ; / yiikes now I’m am going to go on a hunt for that. Happy Anniversary. Thanks for sharing your memories. xoxox

16. Carrie, I loved this post -thank you so much for sharing. Every time I talk with you I find more and more things that we have in common. Kevin and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary last August and I have to say watching our video was a very similar feeling for me… Right down to that handsome younger brother in a tux… My little brother was 14 on my wedding day – he cried at the reception and I couldn’t figure out why he was sad… Now that I am raising teenage boys I think I understand better. For him I was getting married and moving 2,000 miles away that was hard to handle..

• Jill, we’re practically twins separated at birth, right down to the “little brothers” although I’m not sure mine appreciates being called little anymore since he’s a foot taller than me and a married family man now. Such a sweet story about your brother. I’m sure he definitely knew he was going to miss you. Something special about a “big sis.” I always wanted one. xo

17. Stephanie Hopkirk says:

Hi, Carrie. It’s funny where a random series of clicks of the mouse will take you sometimes! I don’t know if you remember me, but we were in the same graduating class at Lakeridge. Your mother was a client of mine twenty years ago, and I remember talking with her frequently about your upcoming wedding, as well as my own, which was in July of that same year. (And, yes, we were such innocent babes, getting married at such a young age!) Anyways, I’m so glad I stumbled onto your website. As a serious foodie myself (dating back to Lakeridge, where I took every cooking class that was offered!), I’m looking forward to reading your various posts. Please give your mom my best!

18. Hi Stephanie, Yes, yes, I remember you. What a small world…. Thank you so much for stopping by! I’ll pass along your note to my Mom. :)

19. Carrie you and Dave are so lucky to be happy and strong after all these years together. Thank you for sharing that beautiful video! Gorgeous!