The Bonne Femme Cookbook – A Gift for One of You

I have a book fetish. I am never without a book that I’m reading. I keep books stacked on, under, and around my nightstand. On every shelf and corner of my office. Stuffed in closets, armoires, drawers. Piled in the kitchen next to the phone. Downloaded by the dozen on my Kindle.

In grade school, I would grab my latest read (probably a Nancy Drew mystery), climb the ladder to the attic, and tip-toe to the far end where I’d sit in the warmth of the attic surrounded by pink insulation, and read my book. When I recently shared this story with my 12-year-old, he remarked, “Don’t you think that’s a little strange?”

What might be a bit more strange is that I love to read cookbooks. Yes, yes, I adore the memoir/cookbooks such as A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenburg, or The Language of Baklava by Diana Abu-Jaber. I devour the partial memoir cookbooks such as The Riversong Lodge Cookbook by Kirsten Dixon – each recipe is proceeded by a beautiful essay about the author’s life in Alaska.

But, shoot, I’ll even read page after page of recipes without a single glossy photo or beautifully written essay, if the cookbook appears to be a good one.

I shared with you last week about my trip up to BlogHerFood in Seattle. One of the perks of these little food conferences is we go home loaded down with free, promotional material. Some great….some “ya gotta wonder.”

At the bottom of the big ole swag bag this year sat The Bonne Femme Cookbook by Wini Moranville. Now, I have to admit, I had never heard of the cookbook nor its author but it sounded like something I would adore, and I couldn’t wait to get home to start reading it.

I have been reading through this cookbook as if it were a juicy novel. Page after page of tantalizing recipes without a single photograph or pencil sketch.

Usually when I read through a cookbook for the first time, I’ll flag the pages of recipes I want to try with little stickies. With this cookbook, I found myself flagging every page. I finally gave up doing that and simply marked the top of each intriguing recipe (pretty much every one) with the time of year that recipe would be good to make.

Last night for dinner, I made the Chicken Francese. Oh my…divine! I couldn’t stop licking the garlicky, lemony, white wine-y sauce. My family loved it. I cannot wait to try more.

When we were packing up to leave BlogHerFood, one of my roommates was unable to fit The Bonne Femme Cookbook in her suitcase. I happily took it off her hands. I thought perhaps one of you would like to have the extra copy.

If you are interested in adding The Bonne Femme Cookbook to your collection, let me know in the comments below by Friday, June 29, 2012. Please make sure your email address is in the body of the comment. I’ll have the 7-year-old pick a name from a hat, and then, I’ll mail off the gift to the lucky draw.

And okay, perhaps the recipient of the gift will wonder about me and my fetish to read these cookbooks like a novel, but I know he/she will read through it and be inspired by the author’s creations.

PS: I was down at the AM Northwest studio last week whipping up Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Funny-guy, Dave Anderson, was in top form. Check it out if you’re in need of a chuckle.

Comments

1. Carol johnson says:

I go so far as to buy cookbooks at garage sales, especially those printed up by church groups. They are always trips down memory lane for me. I’d love to add another to my collection.

• Love that you search for the church group cook books at garage sales. I seem to find myself reaching for old Junior League cook books in much the same way. The old recipes! Always such a hoot or, as you said, a trip down memory lane.

2. You are not alone in your need to collect and enjoy recipe books as though they are novels! My bedroom floor is steadily disappearing underneath the piles of cookbooks and food magazines that will no longer fit on the shelves of the three large bookshelves that line the walls. I am deep into a Nigel Slater reading fest at the moment, and I recently found 30 unwanted Donna Hay magazines. My novels can wait a little longer, surely….
    a.chatwin@connect.qut.edu.au

• So good to know there’s another “book and magazine stacker” out there. I have to admit I haven’t read any of Nigel Slater’s books? Is there one you recommend? I’m intrigued…besides, there’s always room for one more. :)

3. Hiya Carrie, yes please sign me up for the cookbook drawing!
    Thank you for sharing your lovely photos and your delicious recipes with us.
    …and I saw your sister’s FB post with the magazine cover!
    : )
    What a great photo!
    all the best,
    gia
    gia.b@mac.com

4. I love to read cookbooks too! What is great is that you can stop anytime — no chapters to finish! Carrie – all the best with your writing. The pink insulation would have made me sneeze!

• Kel, I couldn’t agree with you more which is why I tend to read cook books at night. Most of the time it’s easier to stop after a particular recipe and not have to read to the end of a chapter. Thank you for spending time here at La Pomme!
      PS: Yeah, I don’t think it was wise to spend so much time breathing that pink insulation. Wonder if that’s why I tend to walk across a room and can’t remember why? :)

5. Amanda Thompson says:

Growing up I always had my nose in a book and I still love to read ~ My husband thinks it is funny that I read cookbooks like they are novels!

6. I would love a cookbook – you can never have too many! sweetmaddy510 at gmail dot com

7. I love to hear that you have stacks of books by your bed to read. I do too, much to my husband’s dismay! I love reading cookbooks, health books and magazines….so much so that my Fifty Shades of Grey sits on my nightstand waiting to be opened.

• If you ever do open your 50 Shades of Gray, Kim, let me know what you think. So far I haven’t added it to my collection. I just got a new cook book I have to read first anyways!!

8. Kimberly P. says:

I love to read cookbooks like novels…always have! Would really like to add this to my collection. I have never been to France, and this is a wonderful way to arm chair travel!
    dkkporter@sbcglobal.net

9. Meredith Manchester says:

Hi….One can never have too many cookbooks. This one sounds lake a great addition to my collection….I know I can squeeze another one on the shelf :)

10. Christy Wall says:

Hi Carrie-
    Yes, Yes, Yes! Please put my name in the hat! The cookbook looks divine!

• Thank you Christy for being a regular reader of my small part of the web over the years. Much appreciated. And, I’m just sure one of these times, your name is going to be pulled from the hat! xoxo

11. Noreen Zupan says:

I would love to read this book. It might inspire me to cook…although you do a very good job of that too!

12. Yes, please sign me up for the cookbook drawing. I always need inspiration! P.S. Have you read Gwyenth Paltrow’s cookbook? I love it, and the stories are so wonderful!

• Ooo, Kandi, thanks for the tip. I have not read Gwyneth’s cookbook but I do enjoy her website GOOP. Will have to add this book to the list. xo

13. Kristy Gebhard says:

Thanks Carrie,
    Please sign me up for the drawing.

14. love reading cookbooks…want to try that chicken…thanks….

15. rmr1984@live.com I’d love to have this book!

16. I feel exactly the same way, so I’m in! PS – have you read Dinner: A Love Story? It’s a classic you’ll-want-to-read-it-like-a-novel type.

• Thank you for the tip on Dinner: A Love Story, Shanna. I almost bought it the other day and then, I wasn’t sure. I’ll definitely have to go back out and get it now.

17. Carrie, please put my name in the hat! Looks like a great cookbook!

(I personally cannot get enough of America’s Test Kitchen cookbooks. We have 15+ cookbooks from them.)

• Thank you for spending some time at La Pomme, Anna. I can’t believe with all the cookbooks I have that I don’t have one from America’s Test Kitchen. Is there one you like in particular??

18. Erin Doucet says:

From one Nancy Drew fan to another. My copies were dog-eared when i was a kid.
    Please sign me up for the cookbook drawing and keep doing what you do so well.

• Thank you for spending a bit of time here at La Pomme. The Mysterious Mannequin was my first and remained my favorite. :)

19. Maria Marks says:

Please add me to your cookbook drawing! I always enjoy your writing style and topics….your voice definitely comes through.

20. Kim Snith says:

Did you say “new fab cookbook”? Can’t resist. Please add me to the hat pick. And let me know if you ever hear of a Cookcook Anonymous group forming! Love your work and recipes. Thank you.
    Kimsmithpdx@gmail.com

• Thanks, Kim, for spending time here at La Pomme and for your kind words. I’ll let you know about the cookbook anonymous group if you let me know. ;)

21. Diane Buell says:

I’m a great cookbook collector. I’m half Belgium and even have some cookbooks
    about Belgium. Put my name in the hat:) Sometimes I get lucky:) Loved you and
    Dave making pie.

Diane in Bend

• Diane, thank you for stopping by La Pomme and taking time to watch the crazy pie video. Your time is much appreciated!

22. Sharlene says:

Can’t pass up a recommended fave cookbook. Love to have a new one to try this summer. Thanks for putting my name in the hat.

durbintwins@yahoo.com

23. Jen Nurse says:

Oh my goodness, that video had me in stitches! Carrie H.C. Minns, you rock! :-)

24. I have been known to curl up on the couch with one of the Moosewood cookbooks and just browse through it for an evening, jotting down notes of the recipes I want to try next. (The only problem with Moosewood recipes: not enough bacon!)

sarah dot zollner dot case at gmail dot com

• Good to know about the Moosewood cookbooks…you can never have enough bacon or it’s European derivative, pancetta. Well, I take that back…I draw the line at Bacon Martinis but for everything else, I’m game. Thanks for stopping by La Pomme, Sarah!

25. Betty Cook says:

Your cookbook fetish might be inherited! As you know, I love cookbooks too and so did Granma.
    Thanks for sharing. XOXO

26. I would love the cookbook! And I’m the same as you, I can read & reread cookbooks & add stickies (but alas, don’t always get to try each one. Thanks!

27. Jennifer says:

Oh…How I wish i had read this yesterday!!! Looks wonderful! Now, I may just have to go buy it…:)

28. Thank you so much everyone for participating!! I loved hearing everyone’s stories about being addicted to cookbooks like me. Anne H. is the lucky recipient of the cookbook. I know where to find you, Anne!!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Minns, author of La Pomme Portland surprised me with this cutie: A photo of my Chicken [...]