Sometimes when the world around me feels frightening and uncertain, I want to gather up my chickens and my hubby and pile us all on a great big cozy bed. And I want to eat ice cream and watch movies and snuggle with my children – without them knowing that we’re snuggling. And when the movie is over and they’ve fallen asleep, I want to gaze at their faces, and watch them sleep like I did when they were babies. When I waited with anticipation for every rise and fall of their chests.
Never mind that my two oldest are 13 and 15 now, and they would probably be “creeped out” to know I was watching them sleep.
But, just a few weeks ago during their spring vacation, I did just that.
We holed up together – the 5 of us – at our favorite little getaway in Old Town Scottsdale: FireSky Resort. A little desert oasis. Intimate. Bougainvillea everywhere.
I spent the mornings sipping coffee in the sun. Reading. While the kids slept.
Under umbrellas on the patio, I ordered and promptly devoured their Fennel and Watercress Salad with grilled shrimp for lunch. Like “spring for my body” after a long, heavy winter.
In the afternoon, the boys swam and pestered each other. My daughter and I soaked up some much-needed Vitamin D and the hubby came and went from the pool to SportsCenter depending on the March Madness schedule.
And in the late evening, when the in-room movie was over and my children were sound asleep, I gazed over at them. And watched them softly breathing. Comforted by knowing, in that moment, they were safe in our little makeshift nest.
I am deeply saddened by what happened in Boston on Monday. My heart goes out to those families who lost a loved one. Words to try to make sense of why it happened escape me.
Hug your hubby, your wife, your partner, your kiddos, your mom, your dad, your sister, your brother, your best friend, your cousin, your aunt, your uncle, your nana, your papa, your neighbor, random strangers on the street.
|Watercress (Arugula) and Fennel Salad with Citrus Dressing||
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1½ tsp honey
- pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- a couple handfuls of watercress (or arugula)
- a handful of thinly sliced fennel
- a smattering of cherry tomatoes
- a sprinkling of black pepper
- a wedge of lemon on the side
- optional: some grilled shrimp or diced chicken breast
- Combine the lemon and orange juice in a bowl with the shallot. Set aside and let macerate for 10 minutes or so.
- Whisk in the honey and the salt.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuously whisking.
- Arrange a couple handfuls of watercress on two plates. Top with the fennel and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Drizzle on the dressing to your liking.
- Serve with a lemon wedge on the side as well as shrimp or chicken if you so desire.